WE ANTICIPATE THE 2020 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION SITE TO OPEN IN MARCH. PREVIOUS YEAR’S APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. PLEASE CHECK BACK WITH US!
Health Focus administers scholarships annually to health career students. The funds are generated from grants and private endowment funds, and predominantly aid students in southwest Virginia. Our scholarship awards are based primarily on financial need and potential for completing a health career program.
Health Focus Scholarship Details
- Academic Requirements: GPA must be 3.0 or better before being considered and student must be already accepted into a medical program.
- Range of ages for prior recipients: 17 years old to 52 years old
- Number of Schools: an average of 20 schools receive scholarships annually
- Total Awards, 1966-Present: Over $3.9 million to over 5,000 students
Recent Scholarship Cycle (2018-2019 Academic Year)
- Total amount given: $18,000
- Applicants: 100 total applications.
- Awards: 22 scholarship awards were given.
Application Deadline Date
To Be Determined.
Our program is unique in that we track our students after they are awarded a scholarship to ensure they graduate from the medical program we helped fund. Scholarship awards are based primarily on financial need, potential for completing a health career program, sincerity of personal statement, and availability of scholarship funds for the applicant.The vast majority of funds are awarded to Virginia residents and those attending Virginia schools. There are few funds available for others. Students will be notified by mail or email whether awarded or denied. For more information, contact Laurie Gibbons, CEO at email@example.com or (540) 444-2925. Award checks are mailed directly to the school. Scholarships may be used for tuition, books, uniforms, and miscellaneous fees.
Scholarship Funds Available
The majority of awards are granted from endowed funds whose interest is available for annual distribution. Additional scholarships may be given from one-time grants according to the donors specifications.
Annual Grants Awarded
In 2019-2020 grants were awarded from the following scholarship funds:
- Nannie Ruth Brown Beavers
- Arnold R. Burton
- Jessie Lumsden Caldwell, RN
- Delta Dental of Virginia Foundation
- Keith and Martha Edmunds Memorial
- Judith Fancher Hagadorn
- James G. Hall, RN Memorial
- Clara Optiz Hall Memorial
- Health Focus of Southwest Virginia
- Ella Trevey Hester Memorial and Donna Gautier Honorary
- F. Staley Hester Jr.
- Wallace S. Klien, Jr Memorial
- Lewis-Gale Nursing Alumnae
- Babe & Sidney Louis (Hyatt) Memorial
- Shirley T. Murray, RN Memorial
- Robert T. Picket Memorial
- Salem Presbyterian Church
- Salem Rotary Club
- Ruth B. Thurman, RN Memorial
- George R. Vaughn, DDS
- David G. Williamson Memorial
Fields of Study Awarded in Recent Years:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Dental Hygiene
- Doctor of Dental Surgery
- Doctor of Medicine
- Doctor of Osteopathy
- Doctor of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Health & Exercise Science
- Healthcare Management
- Licensed Practical Nurse
- Medical Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy
- Master of Public Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physician Assistant
- Radiology Technician
- Registered Nurse
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech Pathology
- Wound Ostomy & Continence Nurse
(Please only use Google Chrome)
Apply For a Scholarship
*Both the Applicant Agreement and School Administration Form must be completed before you can submit the online application