About Health Focus
Health Focus of Southwest Virginia: Serving as a Community Health Education Center since 1964
Health Focus of Southwest Virginia, formerly known as the Lewis-Gale Foundation, was founded in 1964 by a group of medical professionals and community leaders. Upon it’s founding, the Lewis-Gale Foundation’s Board of Directors proposed a primary purpose: “To encourage, support and promote medical progress in the Roanoke Valley.”
To achieve it’s goal of advocating for a healthier community, the Board created three specific courses of action:
- Encourage and facilitate continuing education by providing medical professionals a convenient place to keep abreast of advancements in their respective fields.
- “Needy and Worthy” students interested in pursuing careers in health care could receive financial assistance through scholarships.
- Collect and display “items of medical historical interest” in an effort to preserve medical history.
The Foundation eventually transitioned to an independent entity named Health Focus of Southwest Virginia. However, despite the name change, the missions and courses of action outlined above have remained the same.
Services Provided by Health Focus
Health Focus has awarded $3.7 million in scholarships for health career students since 1966, primarily to Virginia residents and/or those attending Virginia schools.
Displays of historical medical items,some dated prior to the Civil War, are displayed for public viewing at the Lewis Gale Clinic.
- Golf Tournament
- Annual Run
- CPR as certified by the American Heart Association
- CME classes as needed for local medical professionals
- Continuing medical education for all area health professionals on a regular basis
- Lectures on health topics for the general public
More About Health Focus
Learn more about Health Focus of Southwest Virginia in the following sections:
Board of Directors
A listing of the current board of directors and their positions.
History and Purpose
Further information history, founding, and purpose behind Health Focus and the Lewis-Gale Foundation.
Health Focus Newsletter
Annual Newsletter outlining the highlights of the previous year and previewing the year to come.
Contact information including Health Focus of Southwest Virginia’s address, phone numbers, staff, and a map.