Only the Revised application will be accepted.
Health Focus administers an average of $100,000 annually in scholarships to health career students. The funds are generated from grants and private endowment funds, and predominantly aid students in southwest Virginia.
Our scholarship awards are based primarily on financial need and potential for completing a health career program. We began our scholarship program in 1966 and have awarded a significant contribution to over 5,000 healthcare students for a total of over $3.7 million.
Health Focus Scholarship Details
- Academic Requirements: GPA must be 2.75 or better before being considered and student must be already accepted into a medical program.
- Range of ages for prior recipients: 17 years old to 52 years old
- Number of Schools: an average of 20 schools have received scholarships
- Total Awards, 1966-Present: Over $3.7 million to over 5,000 students
Recent Scholarship Cycle (2017-18)
- Total amount given: $210,791
- Applicants: 131 total applications.
- Awards: 105 scholarship awards were given.
Application Deadline Date
Scholarship applications must be submitted by Friday, May 11, 2018. We award only one time a year.
Our program is unique in that we follow our students after they are awarded a scholarship to ensure they graduate from the medical program we helped fund. Scholarship awards are based primarily on financial need, potential for completing a health career program, sincerity of personal statement, and availability of scholarship funds for the applicant.The vast majority of funds are awarded to Virginia residents and those attending Virginia schools. There are few funds available for others. The amount of an award ranges from $250.00 to $3,500.00 and is determined by the expenses to be incurred by the student and school costs. Award checks are mailed to the schools and deposited directly into the students’ account and will be applied only to tuition, books, uniforms and fee expenses. Students will be notified by mail whether awarded or denied.For more information, contact Laurie Gibbons, CEO at email@example.com or (540) 444-2925.
Scholarship Funds Available
Some Health Focus scholarships are endowment funds with only the earnings awarded. Currently, our endowment funds total $400,000.
Annual Grant Funds
In 2017-18 grants were awarded from the following funds:
- Nannie Ruth Brown Beavers
- Arnold R. Burton
- Jessie Lumsden Caldwell, RN
- Delta Dental of Virginia Foundation
- Keith and Martha Edmunds Memorial
- Sylvia Steele Echols, RN
- Judith Fancher Hagadorn
- James G. Hall, RN Memorial
- Clara Optiz Hall Memorial
- Health Focus of Southwest Virginia
- Ella Trevey Hester Memorial and Donna Gautier Honorary
- F. Staley Hester Jr.
- Wallace S. Klien, Jr Memorial
- Lewsi-Gale Nursing Alumnae
- Babe & Sidney Louis (Hyatt) Memorial
- The Nancy Lucas Memorial
- Shirley T. Murray, RN Memorial
- Robert T. Picket Memorial
- Salem Presbyterian Church
- Salem Rotary Club
- Ruth B. Thurman, RN Memorial
- George R. Vaughn, DDS
- Lettie Pate Whitehead Foundation
- David G. Williamson Memorial
Fields of Study Awarded in the Last Two years:
- Bachelor Science in Nursing
- Dental Hygiene
- Doctor of Dental Surgery
- Doctor of Optometry
- Doctor of Osteopathy
- Doctor of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Health & Exercise Science
- Healthcare Management
- Licensed Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Doctor
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy
- Masters in Public Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physician Assistant
- Radiology Technician
- Registered Nurse
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech Pathology
- Wound Ostomy & Continence Nurse